1 clove garlic, minced
Pinch each salt and pepper
2 cups (500 mL) grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
4 rainbow trout fillets (6 oz/175 g each)
1 large head romaine lettuce
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup (50 mL) Caesar salad dressing
Shaved Parmesan cheese, about 1 oz (30 g)
1/4 cup (50 mL) croutons
1. In small bowl, combine oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss halved tomatoes with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the garlic oil. Brush trout fillets with some of the remaining garlic oil. Cut lettuce into quarters, keeping base intact to hold lettuce together. With clean brush, brush cut sides of lettuce with some of the remaining garlic oil.
2. Place tomatoes in grill basket; grill over medium heat until lightly softened, about 5 minutes, gently stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, in a small food processor, process remaining garlic oil and basil leaves until almost smooth. Toss with tomatoes and set aside.
3. Increase heat to high. Place soaked cedar plank on grill; close lid and heat 3 to 5 minutes or until plank starts to smoke. Add trout fillets to plank; close lid and cook until fish flakes easily when tested with fork, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove plank and let stand for a few minutes.
4. Turn off heat, grill lettuce quarters over remaining heat just until grill marked and lightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. To serve, spoon tomato mixture over trout fillets. Place romaine quarter on each plate. Drizzle with dressing and top with cheese and croutons.
Tip: Soak the plank in cold water for 4 to 6 hours before proceeding.
For nutritional information for this recipe, see Foodland Ontario.