2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar or beer
1 tsp (5 mL) butter
¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
4 oz (125 g) cream cheese, softened
1 cup (250 mL) shredded aged cheddar cheese
½ tsp (2 mL) dry mustard or Dijon
1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme, or ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried
Thick pretzels, for dipping
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF (230ºC) or barbecue to medium-high.
2. Combine onion, vinegar, butter and pepper in a shallow baking pan (for oven) or in a foil pan (for barbecue). Roast, stirring twice, for 15 to 20 minutes or until soft, translucent and starting to brown. Let cool slightly.
3. Mash softened cream cheese in a bowl. Add onion mixture, cheddar cheese, mustard and thyme, stirring until well blended. Pack into an ovenproof ramekin or serving dish or a foil pan. Cover and refrigerate until serving, for up to 2 days.
4. To serve, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) or barbecue to medium-high.
5. Heat dip, uncovered, in oven or on grill, for about 15 minutes or until hot and bubbling around edges. Stir and serve with thick pretzels for dipping.
Serves 8 about 1¼ cups (300 mL)