1 lb potatoes yellow fleshed, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic
1 can kidney beans white, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup milk skim, warmed
1 tsp canola oil
1 onion chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 pkg turkey lean, ground
1 tsp thyme dried, leaves
1/4 tsp pepper fresh ground
2 tbsp flour all purpose
2 cups beef broth sodium reduced
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1. Cover potatoes and garlic with water in a pot and bring to the boil. Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Add beans and return to the boil for 1 minute. Drain well and return to pot.
2. Using a potato masher, add milk and mash potatoes and beans until smooth; set aside and keep warm.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add turkey, thyme and pepper; cook, stirring for about 4 minutes or until turkey is browned.
4. Add flour and cook, stirring until flour is absorbed. Add broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes or until thickened.
5. Remove bay leaves and pour mixture into an 8 cup (2 L) casserole dish. Spoon potato mixture over top to cover evenly.
6. Bake in a preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are lightly golden and filling is bubbling.
Nutritional information available from Half Your Plate.